One of the IT world's major conferences took place recently in Las Vegas, with EMC hosting their annual EMC World event from 2-5 May.
Naturally the event was packed with news and exciting developments from the company, as well as being a visual feast for the senses with dazzling high-tech displays, and even Duran Duran performing on-stage.
Here are the main stories from this year's extravaganza:
- Dell and EMC unveiled Dell Technologies as the future brand for the family of businesses, with Dell Technologies including the brands, companies and capabilities reflected across the current Dell and EMC portfolios. Dell EMC will be the new company’s Enterprise business sub-brand, and Dell will be its Client Solutions sub-brand.
- EMC has declared 2016 the Year Of All-Flash for primary storage, and today EMC expanded its market-leading all-flash portfolio with the new EMC Unity family of storage arrays. The new all-flash array, ideal for small and medium-size IT deployments, sets the new standard for simplicity, affordability and flexibility. It is available in all-flash, hybrid, converged and software-defined configurations and is designed to help customers make an affordable and simple transition from disk to flash.
- New Virtustream Storage Cloud is a global cloud storage platform offering enterprise-levels of resiliency and performance combined with true web scale. The launch of Virtustream Storage Cloud represents the latest expansion in capabilities for Virtustream which, over the course of the last ten months as an EMC company, has continued to innovate on its core enterprise-class, mission-critical infrastructure-as-a-service platform while enhancing the portfolio with a comprehensive set of managed services capabilities for both on- and off-premises implementations.
- The new EMC MyService360 cloud-based service dashboard -- available at no additional cost to customers registered with EMC Online Support -- provides a visually compelling, near real-time visibility into the health and status of a customer's entire EMC data center environment. MyService360 is built using EMC's internal data lake and provides powerful analytics and visualization tools designed to improve, enhance and simplify the way customers engage with EMC products to make their jobs easier.
- EMC Enterprise Copy Data Management (eCDM) is an expansion of EMC's Copy Data Management portfolio which helps customers tackle data sprawl and reduce the cost of storing and managing multiple copies of the same data. eCDM enables customers to modernize their storage and protection strategy with discovery, automation and optimization of copy data to reduce costs and streamline operations. eCDM provides companies with a pan-enterprise solution to monitor, manage and analyze copy data, eliminating the waste organizations will spend storing data on the wrong tier of data or when they no longer need the data all together.
- ViPR Controller 3.0 is designed to help customers transition to the modern data center by bridging traditional and cloud native environments to enable business transformation. New updates announced today help customers modernize their multivendor storage environments, with support for over 50 EMC and third-party storage platforms.
- The latest addition to its cloud solutions portfolio, Native Hybrid Cloud (NHC) is an engineered turnkey developer platform for cloud-native application development and deployment.
- VCE VxRack System 1000 with Neutrino Nodes is a software-defined hyper-converged rack-scale engineered system designed to provide a turnkey cloud-native IaaS experience. Using a VxRack System with Neutrino Nodes customers can deploy an enterprise-grade IaaS in just a few days with built-in automation as well as dynamically provision resources for the first time in less than one hour.
- The new ability to stripe two DSSD D5 systems together in a single rack to deliver 2X the IOPS, bandwidth and capacity, 1/3 the latency and a lower TCO than the fastest converged solution in the market today.